What are the the new features in J2SE 6 or java 6.
Java SE 6
Codename is Mustang. As of the version released on December 11, 2006, Sun replaced the name “J2SE” with Java SE and dropped the “.0” from the version number.
Major changes included in java 6 :
- Support for older Win9x versions dropped
- Dramatic performance improvements for the core platform
- Improved Web Service support through JAX-WS
- JDBC 4.0 support
- Java Compiler API: an API allowing a Java program to select and invoke a Java Compiler programmatically.
- Upgrade of JAXB to version 2.0: Including integration of a StAX parser.
- Support for pluggable annotations
- Many GUI improvements, such as integration of SwingWorker in the API, table sorting and filtering, and true Swing double-buffering
- JVM improvements include: synchronization and compiler performance optimizations, new algorithms and upgrades to existing garbage collection algorithms, and application start-up performance.
- Java 6 can be installed to Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) running on 64-bit (Core 2 Duo and higher) processor machines.
- Java 6 is also supported by both 32-bit and 64-bit machines running Mac OS X 10.6