Building an Application with Spring Boot
Spring Boot makes it easy to create stand-alone, production-grade Spring based Applications that you can “just run”.
If you want to create your own Spring Boot-based project, visit Spring Initializr, fill in your project details, pick your options, and you can download either a Maven build file, or a bundled up project as a zip file.
What you would build
You’ll build a simple web application with Spring Boot and add some useful services to it.
What you would need
- A favorite text editor or IDE
- JDK 1.8 or later
- Gradle 4+ or Maven 3.2+
You can also import the code straight into your IDE:
- Spring Tool Suite (STS)
- IntelliJ IDEA
Spring Boot Features
- Create stand-alone Spring applications
- Absolutely no code generation and no requirement for XML configuration
- Embed Tomcat, Jetty or Undertow directly (no need to deploy WAR files)
- Provide opinionated ‘starter’ dependencies to simplify your build configuration
- Automatically configure Spring and 3rd party libraries whenever possible
- Provide production-ready features such as metrics, health checks and externalized configuration