Java 8 Features
Java SE 8
Java 8 (codename: Spider) was released on March 18, 2014,and included some features that were planned for Java 7 but later deferred.
Work on features was organized in terms of JDK Enhancement Proposals (JEPs).
- Language-level support for lambda expressions
- Supporting lambda expressions also allows the performance of functional-style operations on streams of elements, s
uch as MapReduce-inspired transformations on collections. Default methods allow an author of an API to add new methods to an interface without breaking the old code using it.
- Unsigned Integer Arithmetic
- Annotation on Java Types
- Repeating annotations
- Statically-linked JNI libraries
- Date and Time API
- Launch JavaFX applications
- Remove the permanent generation (Perm Gen)